Arabic Student's Fourth Amendment Violated

8:05 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/10/arabic.flash.card.suit/index.html?iref=allsearch

Constitutional Connection: The Fourth Amendment, Search and Seizure"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched and the persons or things to be seized."

Explanation of Connection: A college senior named Nicholas George was arrested at an airport after an airport screener found his Arabic-English flashcards. This case relates to our Living Constitution because Nicholas George's Fourth Amendment was violated, because this search was unreasonable and the airport screener did not even have a Warrant against Nicholas George to search his belongings and seize them. "The lawsuit, files by the American Civil Liberties Union, alleges officials violated George's Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable seizure and First Amendment rights to free speech."
     I personally found this article interesting and not that suprising. I say this because since September 11, 2001 America's security has been really high. Most of this behavior is shown to Middle Eastern, even if they may not have originated in an Arab country. I think this is unfair and this treatment should be less harsh. I do not think it should be removed because there is always an possibility that a terrorist attack may happen. But this behavior should not only be towards Arabs and Arab- Americans, but all people who may come into the airport. After all, the Middle East is not the only territory that America has issues with. I think this story is interesting to some degree because I take Arabic classes, and if I were to get arrested over having Arabic flashcards in my bookbag, I would be upset, speak out against my amendments being violated and I would also attempt to sue.

0 comments: